Autism Committee Members Announced
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced the membership of the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee, which provides advice on research, services, and opportunities for people on the autism spectrum. The new chair is Dr. Bruce Cuthbert. Other new and returning members of the advisory panel include researchers, self-advocates, parents of children with autism, and professionals. They are:
- David Amaral, Ph.D.. Professor of Psychiatry, Behavioral Sciences and Neuroscience at the University of California, Davis. He is also founding research director of the UC Davis MIND (Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders) Institute, and Director of the Autism BrainNet.
- James Ball, Ed.D., B.C.B.A.-D., a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA-D) and President and CEO of JB Autism Consulting.
- Samantha Crane, J.D.. Legal Director and Director of Public Policy at the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) and an autistic self-advocate.
- Geraldine Dawson, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences in the Duke School of Medicine and a faculty member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences. Dr. Dawson also is President of the International Society for Autism Research.
- Amy Goodman, M.A., Director of the Arc of the United States’ Autism NOW Resource and Information Center. She is a self-advocate for people with autism.
- Shannon Haworth, M.A.. the Public Health Program Manager for the Public Health team at Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD) and a parent of a child on the autism spectrum.
- David Mandell, Sc.D., Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine.
- Brian Parnell, M.S.W., C.S.W., who works at the Utah Division of Services for People with Disabilities, Department of Human Services. He has three children on the autism spectrum.
- Kevin Pelphrey, Ph.D., Professor in the Child Study Center and Professor of Psychology at Yale University and Director of the Yale Center for Translational Developmental Neuroscience. He has two children on the autism spectrum.
- Edlyn Peña, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Higher Education Leadership at California Lutheran University (CLU). She has a child on the autism spectrum.
- Louis Reichardt, Ph.D., Director of the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI). He is a former Professor of Physiology and Biochemistry & Biophysics at the University of California, San Francisco.
- Robert Ring, Ph.D., Chief Science Officer for Autism Speaks.
- John Elder Robison, Neurodiversity Scholar in Residence at the College of William & Mary and author of books about living with autism.
- Alison Singer, M.B.A., co-founder and president of the Autism Science Foundation. She is the mother of a daughter with autism and legal guardian of her adult brother with autism.
- Julie Lounds Taylor, Ph.D., assistant professor of Pediatrics and Special Education at Vanderbilt University and an investigator at the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center.